August 15, 2014
Filed Under Birding at Tahoe
Their pecking sounds painful.
They’re so loud that sometimes they sound like jackhammers.
These are the biggest (15″ tall), splashiest woodpeckers around with the giant red crests.
Several have been spotted at the back of Fallen Leaf Lake near the Chapel.
This is the breed of Woodie Woodpecker. Even his call sounds like “Woodie.”
- Length: 15 inches
- Very large (crow-sized) black and white woodpecker
- Prominent red crest at rear of head
- White throat
- Entirely black body plumage at rest except a white line that extends from bill down sides of neck to upper flanks
- In flight shows pale bases to primaries on upperwing and entirely white underwing covert
- Adult male: Red forehead. Red malar area.
- Adult female: Black forehead. Black malar stripe.
- Similar species: No other living woodpecker could be confused with the Pileated.