March 11, 2014
Filed Under North Tahoe Events
Step back in time along the west shore of Lake Tahoe for a great cause.
On Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 6:30pm the Sugar Pine Point State Park Rangers are leading full moon snowshoe tours through the historic Hellman-Ehrman estate sharing local history tidbits and the wonders of the natural environment. All proceeds benefit the Sierra State Parks Foundation.
The Full Moon hike starts promptly at 6:30 pm and begins in the day use side of the park. The programs last approximately 1 ½ hours and costs $25 per person and includes snowshoe rentals, park entrance and guided tour. Kids under 12 are free. Call West Shore Sports at 530 525-9920 for reservations. Wear warm, layered clothing, waterproof shoes and bring a flashlight.
All proceeds from the tours support the Sierra State Parks Foundation. Space is limited and reservations can be made through our State Park partner, West Shore Sports at 530-525- 9920.
Did you know…
The Sierra State Parks Foundation was founded in 1973 by a dedicated group of Tahoe locals in response to plans to demolish Ehrman Mansion to create more campsites.
They’re still around working hard to help preserve our historic sites like the 1916 Rubicon Point Lighthouse located at DL Bliss State Park. Here’s a list of ongoing projects:
- D. L. Bliss: Balancing Rock nature trail repairs; visitor center upgrades and more!
- Donner Memorial State Park: Visitor Center remodeling; exhibit repair and upgrade; pioneer wagon purchase and more!
- Emerald Bay State Park: Creation of new exhibit panels for Vikingsholm; visitor center upgrades; finalization of new Vikingsholm movie and more!
- Sugar Pine Point State Park: Pine Lodge (Ehrman Mansion) repairs; Mercury repairs; exhibit upgrades; Living History Day and more!
- Tahoe State Recreation Area: Visitor center upgrade and more!
But, they can only make these improvements with our help.
Click here to learn more and to donate to the Sierra State Parks Foundation.
Photo courtesy of www.totalsnowshoes.com
For you snowshoe lovers, check out their vintage snowshoe photos.